Saturday, January 10, 2009

I got in a fight with my Sedusa...

... and I have the scar to prove it! How ridiculous is that? Here's what happened:

I co-washed and rinsed with Suave Ocean Breeze (which smells awesome! This week was the first time I've used this "flavor"). Then I rinsed with cold water before scrunching in a little FOTE and my newly received Pink Boots. I plopped for about five minutes in a flour sack towel, scrunched in some Aussie Sculpting Gel, then plopped for another five min in my Curl-Ease. When I took it down to diffuse, it was looking really good! I had great clumps and some volume. I haven't had good hair when wet in forever. So this was definitely a good feeling.

I first diffused with my finger diffuser to get the roots dry. This took maybe two minutes. Then I switched to the Sedusa and things went downhill. Here's what I've realized about the Sedusa:

1. I can't plop it all in and dry. All of my hair will fit in it, for the most part, but it dries weird. And I don't know how long to dry it.

2. The Sedusa works better with high heat at a high speed. My hair loved it the other day. My dryer, not so much. I wasn't about to test it and see if it would still shoot sparks out, so I diffused with high heat at low speed. It would have worked out ok, except...

3. The Sedusa pulls out curl when it's not dry enough. I plopped a section in the bowl and turned it on for a bit. Then I decided to switch sections. I turned it off and attempted to remove the bowl. Sometimes curls get stuck in the curly do-dads. Usually my hair is dry enough and will come out easily if I shake the diffuser gently. The problem is that my hair wasn't as dry as the Sedusa wanted it to be. So it wouldn't come out when I shook it, and I had to pull it out. And my curls stuck and transformed from a few beautiful ringlets into frizzy and weird-looking waves. Not cool!!!

4. Overall, the worst thing about the Sedusa is that I can see there's potential. I just have to figure out how to reach it. And that's frustrating.

So then I decided that the Sedusa probably works better after hair has been diffused for a bit. There's less chance of catching hair and I get better curl formation. I attempted to pull the attachment off. Now, the attachment does fit on my dryer. The problem is that it gets super hot and expands. So not only is it super hot, it's hard to get off! I couldn't do it with my hands, so I decided to try with my legs. I put the dryer in between my legs (luckily sweat pants protected me from the searing heat that was the Sedusa)and clamped down, for lack of a better word, on the Sedusa, pulling the dryer out in front of me. The only problem with that is that I was bent over. So when the diffuser finally came off, I hit myself in the chin with the end of the diffuser! It even knocked off the thing on the end of the dryer! There's a patch about an inch long that looks like it's bleeding under the skin.

Sigh. And I knew it was going to be an awesome hair day! I did finish diffusing with my finger diffuser, but I don't think that saved it much. It's clipped and air drying right now. So we'll see how it turns out. I think finger diffusing followed by the Sedusa will work out best for me. I wish it was easier to figure all this stuff out!

So there's my post. The weather is freakin' crazy here, so I'm a little confused as to what to use. I wanted to go simple, and for the most part I have. I think the Suave/FOTE/Boots/Aussie Gel will be the most/only products I'll use. Except we had a lovely warm front for the past few days (80 degrees with a dewpoint of 60!)... and today was in the 40s with a dewpoint of 16! Definitely not making it any easier.

I'll probably update tomorrow with the results of some more investigations. I'm trying to figure out my overall texture and porosity, and then what to do with that.

Oh and shoutout to Amy! Thanks for the lovely compliment!

No comments: