Well, the results of the protein co-wash are pretty even in terms of being good or bad. I had nice curls and clumpage (my spirals are even starting to come back; haven't seen those since the haircut!) and the grease was gone, but yesterday it started to get itchy and flaky. Not sure if I'll do it again, either now or in the future.
I just got back from Whole Foods. I don't go there a lot because even though it's one city over and not that far (my dad actually works in the building across the street from it), it takes about half an hour to get through all the lights and traffic. I got a sugar pie pumpkin to make a pumpkin pie (yum!) and a jar of raw coconut oil. They didn't have that great of a selection. Almost everything was expeller pressed and/or refined. And they only had glass jars, so it was more expensive than I'm used to.
But it will work! I need to make some more homemade deodorant and I'm planning on experimenting with sealing. It's starting to get cooler here, and my porous hair can get very dry during the winter.
I also got some vegetable glycerin. Mostly for my skin and mineral makeup, but I may try it on my hair if we have any more humid rainy days (which has been a lot lately).
2 comments:
Are you sure it's the protein that gives you the flakes? There was a thread on NC boards where someone suggested propylene glycol causes allergic reactions on some people. I've noticed itchy flaking sometimes, so I'm experimenting with avoiding it in my co-wash--using V05 silk effects instead of suave. just a thought. it might indeed be the protein. :)
I'm not totally sure - it's weird. The rest of my hair was also dry (for the first time in a long time), but it felt more like "I have porous hair" dry than "I used too much protein" dry. I think the flakes may be due to two co-washes per week.
It's funny you bring up allergic reactions though. I think I'm allergic to Suave (and it only took a year to figure out!), though it was more for random little hives. I never noticed any flaking with Suave. I switched exclusively to V05 sometime in early summer. I only use Suave Coconut when I need a small boost of protein without oils. But thanks for the heads up on that! I hadn't seen that thread.
Post a Comment