Monday, February 22, 2010

Flax Seed Gel Experiments

Over the past week, I've experimented a few different times with my FSG batch with some interesting results. It's funny, because I definitely use a lot of this stuff and yet it doesn't look like I've used very much from looking at the bottle. That's a plus in my book!

1. So the first time I used this, I was able to get third-day hair. I don't mean that I wore it down for a day and then bun-ed it for the rest. I mean three solid days of great-looking curls.
Application & Usage:
  • Applied three quarter-sized amounts to dripping wet hair
  • Blotted upside-down and on each side
  • Applied two more quarter-sized amounts upside-down
  • Scrunched in a nickel-sized amount at about 50% dry during diffusing
  • Scrunched in a dime-sized amount each morning I wore it down
This method gave me the best-looking curls, but they were also kind of dry. And the next time I washed, it was frizzy while wet. Not cool.

2. The second time I used this during a wash, I got so-so results. Mostly waves with ringlet-y ends. Definitely not what it had been the first time.
Application & Usage:
  • Did not apply anything before blotting
  • Applied a couple quarter-sized amounts before moving on to normal towel routine
  • Did not apply any more throughout routine
  • Scrunched in some pink boots the next morning, which led to a collapse of volume and curls throughout the day.
My hair still looked ok the next day. I got a lot of comments and compliments, but I didn't feel it lived up to what it had last Monday (figures, right? Always get the compliments when you think it looks bad!). This only lasted one day, and barely that.

3. The third time I used this during a wash, I got blah results. Mostly waves again. It was very stringy when wet but not as bad when it dried (but still pretty bad). With all the crunch and frizz of the previous two times, I thought it might be good to get some
Application & Usage:
  • Applied a quarter-sized amount of KCKT to dripping wet hair
  • Blotted hair
  • Applied three quarter-sized amounts of FSG
  • Did not apply more throughout rest of routine
  • Applied some to hair the next morning (this wash was done during the afternoon)
This turned out ok as well. It outlasted wash #2, but was nowhere near wash #1. Curls were elongated (previously called normal!). Not particularly dry or soft. Lasted two and a half days, with the last day in a bun.

4. Tonight I decided to do it exactly as I had in wash #1 and ended up with the same great curls (and shrinkage)!

Results:
  1. FSG needs to be applied to dripping wet hair that has not been coated with product
  2. Blotting is allowed, along as it is followed with more FSG
  3. Scrunching in FSG while diffusing allows me to rework the curls and minimize frizz
  4. FSG, when done correctly, leads to multiple-day hair
I'm hoping this lasts as well as it did last week, since I washed later this time. I've been contemplating buying some of the new PJ favorites, but I can't beat the great results I'm having from something I can make at home for much cheaper.

No comments: